“Sealed in this little space. I’m not sure who’s watching who. Who’s the keeper who’s kept. This world is so tiny.”
On a North London estate, a swarm of bees attracts an environmentally minded schoolboy who feels lost now that his father’s no longer around. In the estate’s playground, he is drawn to an old anarcho-punk called Euston, who is the sole witness to a horrific crime. As the city and its residents tear one another apart, these two misfits form an unexpected alliance, as they realise that each holds the key to the other’s salvation. “I don’t want to celebrate this. This thing we share. This lacking. This shame. This inability to do the right thing that should come easy as waking.” “Easy as sleep.”
John Straiton’s darkly lyrical play explores a fleeting moment of connection between two very different people, and the surprising bonds forged in times of loneliness. The Boy with the Bee Jar was long-listed for the 2019 Bruntwood Prize.
The performance lasts 80 without interval and contains very strong language.
PLEASE READ THE DETAILS BELOW BEFORE YOUR VISIT. We are operating at half capacity with social distancing rules in place according to government guidelines.
- Facemasks are to be worn over the mouth and nose inside the pub and theatre at all times unless you are exempt.
- Please arrive for promptly at 6:45pm. If there are no pub tables available downstairs, you will be asked to wait outside the venue to aid social distancing. The doors will open at 6:55pm. You may book a table via the Greene King website for the Hope & Anchor, Islington.
- Please bring this confirmation with you either printed OR on your mobile phone. Please present it to the Box Office at the end of the bar to let us know you've arrived. You will also need to show this again at the theatre entrance.
- Over 18s only due to pub licensing laws
- Box Office opens at 6:15pm for ticket sales on the door. Please book your ticket in advance to save waiting time.
- LATECOMERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- Refunds and ticket exchanges are not available.
- If you have booked a table and wish to order food please ensure you order by 6pm at the latest otherwise your food will not be ready in time for you to see the show.